Membership is free to all Westland, Grey, Buller and Selwyn District residents.
How do I join the library? No more forms
IIf you live anywhere in Westland, Grey, Buller or Selwyn District, you can join the library for free. No more forms to fill out. You can register online at home or come into the library . We still require you to come into the library with your photo ID (driver's license, passport) and proof that you reside at the address given and we will issue you with your library card. Examples of proof of address are telephone, electricity, rates account, bank statement, tenancy agreement. Click here to register online.
How old does my child need to be to join the library?
Children and Young Adults aged 0 - 17 years old can join the library online. The parent or guardian can collect the child's library card from the library but the parent or guardian will still need to bring their personal ID and proof of address.
How many items can I borrow and how long can I borrow them for?
There is no limit to the number of items borrowed. Books are issued for 3 weeks, or a maximum extended period of 6 weeks.
- DVDs, Music CDs, Talking Books and Magazines are issued for 1 week with 1 week renewal.
- Jigsaws are issued for 6 weeks.
What if I'm only here for a couple of weeks?
- $20 per card per month (visitor card held at library).
- Limit of three items borrowed.
- Personal ID needs to be shown and a library card or something else of value needs to be left with us and collected at the end of your stay.
- We also require a contact address in Westland.
If you require a longer subscription then the following charges apply:
- 3 months - $25
- 6 months - $50
- 12 months - $100
A bond of $30.00 is required for anyone giving, as their visitor address, an accommodation house
Exchange Students and International Visitors
- International Exchange Students staying with families in Westland District longer than 6 months can join as a visitor without a charge
- International Visitors cannot join the library. We do have free Internet and free Wifi for you to use. We also have a second hand bookshop in town.
Conditions of Membership
- To comply with these conditions of membership.
- You are responsible for your library card and all items borrowed on your card.
- Guarantors are responsible for the supervision of children/young people they have authorized to use the library, their library cards, all items borrowed, and the content of materials chosen and/or viewed.
- Return borrowed items in good condition.
- Pay replacement costs for lost or damaged items. Please do not attempt to mend items yourself.
- Pay all library rentals, overdue fines, and other charges and fees incurred.
Please remember to:
- Bring your library card on each visit.
- Contact Us if your card is lost or stolen. You are responsible for items borrowed before the loss is reported.
- A charge for replacement cards applies.
- Contact Us with any change of address, telephone number or email address
- You are unable to borrow items if you have more than $5.00 in charges
- If you have not used your library card for more than 2 years, your membership will expire and you will need to reapply
Expected Standard of Behaviour Policy - click here
Customer Service Policy - click here